Friday, April 16, 2010

Dear Graysie:

God dropped a baby on our doorstep just like daddy had mentioned at our bible study not even 24 hrs. ago!

Let me explain. Our friend R, whom we've known for 5 years was with daddy today. They have been in some sort of business venture together since the time they met and R has just gotten into real estate. Daddy is helping him learn the business and so he was going on a listing appointment with him. As they were driving down the road talking about life R mentioned to daddy that his young cousin, Amanda, was here staying because she was going through some hard times. Having a heart for youth daddy asked what exactly she was dealing with. R told daddy that she was pregnant and was looking to give the baby up for adoption. Daddy was shocked. R and daddy talked some more and before they knew it daddy was calling me.

I was home taking care of our house and hanging out with my neighbor Pam. She was over and the kids were in the backyard playing. Our phone rang and it was your daddy. I was expecting him to be calling to tell me he was running late, he ran out of gas, or even to ask if we had plans or not to be able to go out to dinner with R & G; but instead I got the shock of my life! Your daddy, the one who was totally against adoption less than 24 hrs. ago, was calling to ask me if I'd like to meet Amanda who was giving her baby up for adoption. I had no words, I was officially speechless. I think I fumbled around asking questions about who and why and when. I hung up the phone and in an absolute emotion between shock, panic and excitement I told Pam what was going on. In minutes Pam had left and I started calling Grandy and anyone else I could think of. Since daddy was in his appointment and I couldn't talk to him in more detail, I had a million questions that were unanswered.

Once daddy got back home he gave me some more details. He knew you were going to be biracial, he knew Amanda had not been on drugs, he knew there was no boyfriend in the mix, but that was pretty much all he knew. We waited for a call from R & G to see if Amanda had any interest in meeting with us. It felt like we waited forever and yet, fairly quickly we got the call from R saying Amanda would like to meet with us.

I don't know what will come of our meeting with Amanda. I haven't thought about adopting. I only know some details from friends who have gone through the process. I know it's expensive, but we have the resources to cover it. I know we have just had a baby who is almost 10 months old and it could be hard, but it would be worth it. I know we have this big house that we prayed God would bless other people by, but this would take care of one empty bedroom. I know for some reason I've been feeling like I wanted to expand our family, but I wouldn't have to be pregnant to do that. I know you are biracial, but I would love you no matter what. I know daddy said no more babies, but God dropped one on our doorstep.

The only concern I have at this point is for our friends who are all struggling to conceive. I push that thought aside because in my heart I'm thinking "This just doesn't happen in real life! Don't get your hopes up, Amanda could think you're just not good enough for her baby."

Good thing for me, that didn't happen!
Love you forever!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment