Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dear Graysie,

It’s August 2001, time for my family’s annual trip to Horn Creek Church Camp. I’ve been going since before I was born. (In fact, I’m pretty sure I was conceived on the way there.) I cherish my time spent in the mountains. One week is never long enough. I hope when I’m 18 I can get a summer job there.

My favorite day of the year is the Saturday we drive to Horn Creek. (It’s better than Christmas!) The scenic drive has breath taking views of the mountains, valleys, and forests. It signals the beginning of a much anticipated week of family fun. As soon as we turn on to Macy Lane I roll down my window and take the deepest breath possible. The crisp piney air is irresistible. As soon as the minivan is parked I make sure my feet are the first ones to touch the dirt packed ground. It’s just some quirky ritual that I try and do every year. Honestly, Colorado is one of the loves of my life. I love Horn Creek likes it’s a dear family member.

We haul our luggage to our rustic room located in the mini lodge. I’m making my brother carry my bags! I’m anxious to get unpacked and see who made it back this year. I hike up around the semi circle of cabins with my brothers trailing close behind. I spot cousins, aunts, uncles, and old family friends. The dinner bell rings and we make our way to the dining hall. I spot a young couple with three adorable children. Their baby resembles a delightfully chubby cherub. Their daughter and son, both toddlers, are charmingly cute and well behaved. I quickly dismiss this sweet family as probably more friends of my cousins, Randy and Ginger. Every year they bring new friends with endearing little families. I’m only 17, I have nothing in common with these people. But something about them is making me want to befriend them. Maybe I should get to know them. Maybe I should offer to help out with their kids. But wait, there’s Trenton from last year. We’ve wrote letters back and forth for months. I’m so glad he’s here!

I spend my days hiking, horseback riding, swimming, rafting, and enjoying all the activities the mountains had to offer. At night, I attend round up (church) and then play card games or go bowling. It really is a week of squeaky clean fun. Every night at round up that charismatic little family catches my eye. My mom thinks their baby is cute as a button and even holds her one night during service. I hope someday I have a pleasant little family just like them. I will take my family to church camp, and maybe our families will even be friends; but that won’t be for years.

Love, Amanda


3 comments:

  1. Amanda.... You and I don't know each other but I dearly love the entire Hunt family and know from this first post that I would love you as well!!! I am glued to the blog and can't wait to hear your stories. I have a great visual already! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I am a friend of the Hunt's and we have met once before when you were here to visit. I actually have a hand colored Halloween card on my bulletin board that Graysie made for me. Those kids are amazing, thanks for starting this blog with Ambyr and sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I am a colleague of Josh's and saw this article on facebook. It caught my eye because I too became pregnant at a young age. I made the decision to keep my baby and raise her. Today she is a vibrant woman with a family of her own.

    I considered adoption and for that reason I am so interested to hear how your story unfolds and the process that you went thru. Thank you so much for sharing your story with not only Graysie but the rest of us as well!

    ReplyDelete